Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sometin' For Fun

Somethin' for fun...aka a hobby. You know I just wanted to build custom computers. Like the biggest, baddest, custom lookin', heat producin', gaming machine. Well I did. The problem was I couldn't stop. I have now made a small business out of the whole thing. It all started with the PC I was given for my 16th birthday. It was the best computer in the whole house and I treasured it. It was a Gateway with a tiny micro ATX board that had a PCI 16x slot on it (which I thought was the coolest thing because of the graphics card potential) and a Pentium 4 3ghz processor. A few months after that I entered a gaming clan called ECO which got me into a favorite game of mine, Day of Defeat. I soon found that my on board graphics couldn't handle my insatiable need for gaming. So what did I do? On my 17th birthday I was handed $100 by my parents to do with what I wanted. I headed down to a Best Buy and purchased a Nvidia 7300 GS graphics card.


It was 2006 and I was cruising down gaming lane. Till I hit a snag. "Dear Daniel, I am running out of memory. Please donate out of your savings for more" said my computer one day. Well really it said. "Error. Out of Memory" but it might as well had. I was hooked and spent $70 on a 1 gb of DDR ram. Now thinking I was set for the next couple of years, I tackled harder and harder GPU crunching games, till my poor GPU fan screamed. (Well it was more like my parents screamed at my attentiveness to my computer rather than my school. But we all know that song)


2007 has rolled around and my computer has been bettered with a SATA 160GB HD to correct a misconceived notion that my original hard drive was going out. (Heck, my OS was ganging up on me, but, well, it was Windows) Now a new idea struck - What about a new case?. During this time my CPU was undergoing heat problems (which was later corrected by a clean out of the heatsink and fan) and I convinced myself that more space was in order for better ventilation. So taking my hard earned summer job money, I purchased an Ultra Gladiator Case.


And so begins the saga of Blu Flud, my very first custom computer.

No comments: