Monday, March 3, 2008

Down the Multi-Core Road

A processor. A small piece of hardware that has such a huge impact on the rest of the system. I was so wanting a new processor ever since I heard that the Core 2 Duo's came out. Then as I was reading online I came across a review for a Core 2 Quad processor. Hmmm. I read the whole review like a thirsty man. And then I read another review and another. The price for this cool piece of hardware was $300. But it only utilized 1066mhz FSB and the core speed was only 2.4ghz. I wanted to utilize the full FSB of my board, 1333mhz. So, I looked at other processors, first the E6550 2.2ghz 1333mhz FSB at $179 Then the E6850 3Ghz 1333mhz FSB at $300, this was the absolute best processor you could get without moving into the Extremes.

And because I wanted the best, it finally came down to a contest between the Quad core and the E6850. Back and forth I went every minute. Then one day we were at Fry's and I was determined to get A processor that day, but I couldn't decide!! Arrghhh!! Then a light bulb struck. "Ask your dad." it said. And I did. He recommended the Quad core and gave me a couple of good reasons why. 1. This is where technology is going. 2. Its at the same price as the E6850. 3. Why not?

Now how could I argue with that. I went and purchased a brand new Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Core2-Quad-lg

Now she isn't the fastest horse on the track, but multiply the 4 cores by 2.4ghz and you get more processing power than the E6850 or even the brand new 45nm Core 2 Duo's. The 8MB L2 cache doesn't hurt either.

We then move on to the mean green eye, Nvidia and their awesome GPU's. Which of them will be my next graphics card?

No comments: